Changgyeonggung Palace has a long history. A summer palace
known as Sunganggung was first built at this location in 1104
during the reign of King Sukjong of the Goryeo Dynasty. King
Sejong (1418-1450) began construction of this palace for his
retiring father, King Taejong. It often served as residential
quarters for queens and concubines. During the reign of King
Seongjong (1469-1494), the palace was renovated and
renamed to Changgyeonggung Palace.